One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Finally, A Day at Home

It's been awhile since I've been home for an entire day. When these days occur, we take advantage of them. Here's what I've accomplished since sweet Violet came in at 8 a.m. and started my day:

Homemade wild berry scones with orange glaze (I need to work on cutting them more uniformly....)

Organic 6-lb. chicken in the rotisserie oven (it will be used in two of our meals this week)

Rice out of the rice cooker for tonight's meal (Broccoli, chicken and rice bake)

Sriacha Egg Cups for the boys' breakfasts this week

Finally packed and addressed a baby gift for cousin Jordy in Baton Rouge 

Packed up all the snowmen/winter items, put them away in the basement and got out the spring/Easter decorations. Behind the ducks are my birthday present from Shawn -- the entire LM Montgomery collection of books! She's the author of Anne of Green Gables and I had no idea she had many other books as well!

Dark chocolate, almond and orange biscotti for me and Shawn's coffee breaks this week (again, uniform cutting isn't really my thing, but I did dip one side in dark chocolate as the recipe recommended) 

I'm taking a quick break now to relax while Violet is napping, and then I'll go tackle our bedroom. It is a disaster... Truly, I don't know how our room gets so messy. This weekend I'm beginning the cleaning/staging for showing this house. That's right, you heard me, it's going on the market! 

Yesterday I sent Shawn to the grocery store early so I could make some casseroles to take out to both my grandpas. I made them each two tater tot casseroles and printed instructions for them. Grandpa Pud is struggling with kitchen duty. He's been cooking for several years, but I think Grandma pretty much told him exactly what to do. Yesterday he said he didn't know how to work the oven. Since my casserole needs to be baked, I asked my brother Troy to bake it for Grandpa today while he's over there having lunch. In the future, I think I'll bake everything for him and send it in microwaveable containers. 

Violet and Bo joined me yesterday. We delivered the casseroles to Grandpa Keith and then went to Linden for the rest of the afternoon. Yesterday would have been Grandma Maxine's 88th birthday. We knew Grandpa wouldn't want to be alone, so my aunt Sherie and her family spent the day there, and then Sherie and I made homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and corn for supper. As a very special treat, we thawed out a loaf of Grandma's whole wheat bread. It was a little sad to be eating one of her last baked goods ever, but I enjoyed every bite. Even as her health declined these past few years, she continued to bake bread. Pretty amazing -- that's not exactly a fast activity... My fried chicken was not like hers, but it was pretty good. Aunt Sherie's mashed potatoes were awesome! We ran out of time and didn't get the gravy made, but we'll do it next time! 

And that's been the weekend. Hope you all are having a good one, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment