One-Yard Wonders projects

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Are You Ready for Some Football?

It's here. After months of waiting, after hours of ESPN specials, after days of listening to player updates and after hundreds of games of catch, the opening day of the NFL season is nearly here. Tomorrow the Green Bay Packers will take on Super Bowl champs the Seattle Seahawks.

What does that mean for us? Shawn and Mazy are already nervous about the game. Bo is excited to watch the game. Violet has been yelling "touchdown" and raising her hands just like the referees do. And I have been planning a kickoff to football menu! If you don't like the game, enjoy making game food! That's my theory at least.

Tonight I prepped our White Bean and Chicken Chili by defrosting some homemade broth, chopping onions, yellow peppers, banana peppers, kale that our nice neighbor delivered tonight and getting the crockpot out and ready to fill in the morning.

I am very excited about the add-ons for the chili that everyone can add to their bowl: fresh cilantro, sun-ripened tomatoes (also from the nice neighbor), plain Greek yogurt and the coolest thing we have ever received in our weekly produce delivery from Prudent Produce -- finger limes!!! I had no idea what they were when I saw them on the website last week but Mazy loves limes so I thought what the heck, we'll try them.

They arrived today and totally surprised me. Look how tiny they are:

Mazy's Finger Illustrating The Size Of Finger Limes

Here's the coolest part: you cut them In two and squeeze them to rbelease these little tiny balls that pack a ton of flavor! The package called them: Citrus Caviar. The boys totally loved them. I think They will be an awesome garnish for the chili!

Aren't they cool?! I have never seen anything like them before. It is another reason why I love Prudent Produce -- they have introduced us to cool new fruits and vegetables that I would never be able to find in a grocery store. The fruit and vegetables are always outstanding quality and flavor, and of course, they are organic or locally grown. Plus, they deliver a big bin of goodness to our doorstep every Wednesday!

One more thing, I am going to try and take at least one photo a day on my phone about some interesting aspect of our lives, like today's excitement over the finger limes. The quality isn't very good but I like having the challenge of capturing one moment from the day.

Go Packers! Go Clay Matthews! (Even I will watch football if Clay is playing.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment