One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, January 27, 2014

Warming Up with Grandma Betty Gravy

Sheesh, it's been awhile since I've written. I think I will blame my writing lapses on this winter and the weather and the cold/flu season. With the exception of Bo, we've all had bad colds at some point in the past couple weeks. Mazy missed a couple days of school. Violet missed a couple days of school. In fact, Shawn has been home with one of them the past three Thursdays in a row. We're hoping to break the streak this week....

Today was a cold, cold Monday. I think the high was 4 or something. I joined a couple of my new coworkers for lunch, and I had the bright idea that we could walk to the restaurant. It's only three blocks away, after all. Well let me tell you, when you're walking into the wind and -25 windchill, that's a LOONNNNGGGG three blocks. Probably not my smartest idea. When we got there, my eyelashes were frozen, my legs were starting to go numb and my scarf was iced to my mouth.

But we had delicious food, talked about our spouses and children, and eventually thawed out over our noodles. The walk back was a breeze, with the wind to our backs and the sun shining down on us.

The afternoon was uneventful, until the school principal called... We have to meet with him tomorrow morning about Mr. Bo.... I loved telling my new boss, "Yeah, I'm going to be late tomorrow. We have to see the principal about our KINDERGARTNER." Oh Bo.

But we came home to the heavenly aroma of roast beef in the crockpot and that made things better. Shawn was busy making homemade gravy and mashed potatoes when I walked in with the kids. I sautéed some broccolini with garlic and lemon. Supper was divine -- that homemade gravy is incredible. We call it "Grandma Betty Gravy" because it is exactly like the kind she used to make. My husband has mastered it. Grandma would be proud. Cindy, Tobin, Doug -- if you have any desire to relive some of your favorite childhood food memories, you let me and Shawn know. We'll make you roast beef, mashed potatoes and Grandma Betty Gravy the next time you're around!

And now we are relaxing and enjoying the quiet. I am a little nervous about the principal's meeting. We know food is a major culprit with Bo's extreme anger episodes, but I know it's hard for other people to understand or even believe that. We just have to do better with his diet. End of story.

Have a great week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment