One-Yard Wonders projects

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Neighborhood Walks with Violet

For two weeks, my little redheaded buddy has joined me on 25-minute walks around the neighborhood. All I have to say is, "Let's go Violet! Time for our walk!" She toddles out to the garage, goes straight to the stroller and waits (not so patiently) for me to put her in.

It's lovely. Just me and Violet.

Often I'll pick up sticks and leaves and different plants for her to play with during the ride. She eventually leans back with one arm trailing out the side trying to catch flowers or feel a fence or brick wall.

Her absolute favorite part of the walks are the neighborhood dogs. They're everywhere and they all bark their heads off whenever Violet comes near. The only time she gets mad on our walks is when I won't stop to let her look at the barking dogs... I stop for a little bit, but they're all pretty annoying. Either big barkers or little yappers.

Anyway, it's been fun getting more exercise and more energy. Most of the time, when we return the boys are waiting for us in the backyard. Footballs out and ready to start a game of catch. Violet toddles around the yard while we play, in and out of the playhouse, up the slide, into the garage, out with a broom, busy busy busy girl!

Other things that are happening:

  • We took the kids to the zoo last Saturday. The weather was BEAUTIFUL! We arrived by 10 and were out by noon, just as it was starting to get really crowded. I hadn't been to the zoo in a couple of years and was very pleasantly surprised by all the changes and additions! The kids were great and we had a really good time. 
  • Bo had a birthday party Sunday afternoon -- bowling. I was glad he got to go to something by himself. I finished painting the trim around the front door, painted one of the front entry railings, painted the threshold on the back door, and painted the trim around the garage door. Then the whole family spent about a half-hour pulling weeds. That Mr. Bo is a whiz with the garden shears! He practically took down an entire out-of-control rose bush all by himself!
  • Violet has Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease -- not to be confused with Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) which only occurs in livestock. She's been out of daycare so far this week -- our wonderful niece Tori has been watching her in Nevada. She was kind of grumpy yesterday -- poor little chickee has blisters in her mouth and throat so she wasn't able to eat much, but today she was in much better spirits and the blisters have begun to heal, which apparently means she is no longer contagious. 
  • The boys are heading to the farm tomorrow to spend the night with their cousin Kael. Despite these cool temps (70s all week!), I am sure they will spend the day in the swimming pool. Thursday they're going to the new Superman movie and then maybe meeting me in Valley Junction to go to the farmers market. 
  • This coming Saturday is the annual Hanson Family Corn Feed -- the biggest social event for Shawn's family each year. We're taking our newly discovered meat moussaka dish and I think I'll make a dessert, too. Not sure what yet, but I did find a recipe for a carrot bundt cake with lemon icing that looked delicious. 
That's about it for us. Hope you all are having a good week. Can't believe it's almost August!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment