One-Yard Wonders projects

Friday, November 2, 2012

A-D-O-R-A-T-I-O-N

I don't know if I had ever truly witnessed the meaning of the word "adoration" until this year.

And now I live with two people who embody adoration like no one else I know: Mazy and Violet.

When he comes into the room, she squeals with delight. When he wakes up in the morning and sees her, his face lights up and he's immediately at her side. It's one of the sweetest brother/sister relationships I've seen. And I don't say this to discount Bo's relationship with Violet, he is an outstanding big brother and gives his fair share of kisses and attention. And Violet is crazy about Bo. Maze and Vy have something special.

And it does a mother's heart good to see it.

***

I was just thinking about them today and wanted to capture that thought before I forget it. It's Friday night. Shawn's at game night with his friends. I just put Violet to bed. The boys are playing on the dining room floor. I'm watching the Hurricane Sandy benefit and looking around our disaster of a house...

Tomorrow I have a lot of work to do.

I got sick with some kind of quasi-flu on Sunday evening and felt awful Monday and Tuesday and stayed home from work. I still felt awaful on Wednesday but was getting so behind that I didn't dare not come in. Even yesterday I was only 75% or so, but today I finally felt pretty good again.

In the meantime, Bo has come down with something -- he spikes a 101 - 102 degree fever every 6 to 8 hours. It comes down with Tylenol, but keeps returning without any other symptoms except a headache. It's weird. I don't know what it is. He's had it two days. We'll give him the weekend to see if it improves. Good ol' Shawn stayed home with him yesterday and took him to work with him today. Grandpa Dwayne watched him in the afternoon so he could nap.

So this week has been something of a bust. Aunt Jean and Uncle Doug hosted us for trick-or-treating on Tuesday night. It's the third or fourth year we've done that and it's always so much fun! Thanks again Doug and Jean!

The Great Pumpkin visited our house at dusk on Halloween. He always drops by and leaves clues for a scavenger hunt for the kids so they can find their Great Pumpkin gifts. We lit all our jack-o-lanterns out in the backyard and they found and read their clues by flashlight.

Oh my goodness! I forgot to tell you the most exciting news of the week! Mazy and I have been going to a new chiropractor since mid-September. During all this time, they've had a drawing going for a Kindle Fire. The only way you can enter the drawing is by referring a new patient to them. I got referral credit for bringing Mazy and Violet in. My friend and coworker Hillary also started going to them, and I got her to list Mazy as her referral so he could finally enter the drawing. He's been talking about the Kindle Fire constantly. Every visit he would make jokes with the receptionist Stephanie that she should draw his name. And this past week, the final week of the giveaway, he woke up every single morning asking about when they would draw a name, and every night at bedtime he would ask me if I thought he would win. I told him it was good to be hopeful and optimistic, but to try not to be too disappointed if he didn't win. After all, I told him, the odds of winning are very slim.

Well, Thursday we went to our appointment and Stephanie the receptionist was smiling very widely and said, "Mazy, I have some very good news for you! You won the Kindle Fire! We drew your name!"

So much for preparing him for disappointment... I told Mazy he must have Grandpa Kevin's lucky streak. They expect him to receive his Kindle Fire at next week's appointment. Stay tuned. He is incredibly excited to "finally have technology of his own." He's been complaining that he is the only one in the house who doesn't have technology....

And now for our weekend plans. The monthly flea market is tomorrow so Shawn will go to that bright and early. Then we'll clean. Then we'll go to Menard's for a new storm door for the front porch and to investigate finding a couple replacement shingles for our house. The handy man comes next week! Whoohoo! I'm so excited to get some projects finished around here! Before you know it, we'll be ready to sell our house and move into something new!

And on Sunday I think we're headed to Nevada to spend the day with Shawn's parents. I'd like to work on some sewing projects, and we might take the boys to a matinee of "Wreck It Ralph." But that's still to be determined.

Well, that catches you up on us. Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment