One-Yard Wonders projects

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sunshine Sunday: Happy Anniversary to My Man

So 12 years ago today, I woke up at my sister's house and prepared to get married to my love, Shawn. We were 24.

In the weeks leading up to the wedding, Shawn and I taught ourselves how to do the waltz -- practicing in our tiny living room in our apartment in Milwaukee. We wanted our first dance to be the Iowa Waltz by Greg Brown. I love that song.

Home in the midst of the corn
In the middle of the U.S.A.
Here's where I was born.
Here's where I'm going to stay.

Iowa. Iowa. 
Winter, spring, summer and fall. 
Come and see, come dance with me.
To the beautiful Iowa waltz.

We spent many nights listening to Beatles songs and choosing the music for the wedding ceremony and reception. Dad and I walked down the aisle to Buddy Holly's True Love Ways. Shawn and I walked back down the aisle to The Ballad of John and Yoko. My friend Stephanie read an excerpt from "These Golden Days" by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Our wedding day was overcast and cool. I chose all bright wildflowers and sunflowers for my bouquet.  The bridesmaids wore dark purple. We had a full-size hayrack and over 40 jack-o-lanterns at our reception. Shawn's mom and Grandma made a ton of potato salad. The Cattlemen cooked burgers. My mom and sister pretty much planned the entire wedding. I designed the wedding cake -- each layer was a different fall design and a different flavor.

And my Grandma Betty was there -- beautiful, smiling and so excited for the wedding. She died three years later (almost to the day) and was buried in the dress suit she wore to my wedding. Grandma found an article in Country Living magazine about a fall wedding that was the inspiration for all of our decorating.

It was a great day.

And twelve years later, life with Shawn is still a great day.

Happy anniversary, babe. Love you. And I love this crazy, chaotic and colorful life we live.




No comments:

Post a Comment