One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, October 8, 2012

My Introduction to Soccer

So far the boys have had three Saturdays of soccer -- 30 minutes of practice followed by a 30-minute game. I missed the first week for a family commitment but have attended the other games. Somehow I have managed to miss all of their goals.... Bo has scored at least one goal in every game. Mazy has scored in two out of three of his games.

Soccer is fun. It's easy to follow, especially at this age, and the chance of serious brain injury seems minimal. I don't know about the rest of you parents, but that is something I think about when it comes to children and sports.

The boys are very different kinds of players, but I think they are both good. Bo is a right-up-in-the-action kind of player. He is easy to spot on the field because he is usually leading the pack, dribbling the ball down the field trying for a goal. He seems very natural when he's running. And he seems to love playing. Mazy, on the other hand, is a hopper and a skipper, often found toward the back of the pack, watching the action and waiting for his move. He'll run in and get in the action when he sees an opportunity, but he's not dictating the moves of the game. He also likes to play goalie, and that's where I see him really concentrate and follow the action. They both try very hard, listen to the coaches and seem to enjoy playing. This makes me happy.

And Coach Hanson is also a natural. :)  He very patiently tells the 3 and 4-year-olds not to pick up the ball with their hands. To run the other direction to make a goal. To stop spinning in circles and watching the bird that's flying overhead. Bo's age group is easily distracted. And hilarious to watch! And then with the 7- and 8-year-olds, I overhear Shawn actually running plays and coaching them on their techniques and stuff.

Anyway, it has been a fun experience for all involved. There are three more Saturdays left. If you're in central Iowa, come on over to the DMACC Ankeny on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.! Here are a few pics from two Saturdays ago, when it was 70 degrees and quite warm and sunny.

 Shawn is in the red shirt. Bo is in a gray jersey, second from the left.

 Bo is hunched over the ball. I'm sure he was about to pick it up until Shawn yelled at him not to. 

 I liked this photo because it looks like he really knows what he's doing it. And those little knee-high socks and shin guards are so cute!

 Mazy watching from the sidelines. 

 I like this picture because Shawn was forced to play some game called "snakes" where he had to crawl around, chasing the kids. I could tell he was thrilled with this idea. Mazy is in the gray jersey, third kid from the left. I told him he looked like a gazelle. And he said, "Actually, I think I look like a cheetah."

And Mazy as goalie.

Hope you all have a great week! Shawn and I are just settling down to watch a horror movie, Woman in Black, which stars Harry Potter -- otherwise known as Daniel Radcliffe. Tis the season for scary movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment