One-Yard Wonders projects

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Is This Levitating?"

The Checkers Champ
Early out today so Mazy, Violet and I went to the downtown library to return some books and check out new ones. Mazy saw a large checkers game set up in the children's section and asked if I would play with him. I said sure and proceeded to teach him the rules of the game. It's been awhile since I've played checkers. First, I told him you could move several spaces at once as long as nothing was blocking your path. Later I remembered that's actually a chess rule. I also told him you could move backward on the board. Later I remembered you could only move backward if your piece had been kinged. Poor kid -- I was not a very good teacher. But he picked it up quickly.

Since it was his first time playing, I coached him a lot and pointed out ways I could take his guys but didn't so he would begin to learn the strategy. He ended up winning. As we were walking toward the check-out desk, he said, "Let's play that again at home. You can try your hardest but I'll probably still beat you. I'm pretty much a master now." Oh Mazy....


Levitation
Now here's my favorite story of the day. We were riding the elevator down to the parking garage and he said, "Is this levitation?"

Me: "No, not really."

Mazy: "What is levitation?"

Me: "Well, it's when an object just floats in the air by itself. With no strings or ropes attached to it."

Mazy: "Is this a levers and pulleys system?"

Me (a bit surprised by this question): "Yes, actually. It probably is."

Mazy: "Are there any inclined planes?"

Me: "Umm, I don't think so."

Dinner and Shopping
We met my mom tonight for supper at one of our favorite Thai restaurants, The King and I. It's delicious. After supper, we all went to the mall. I needed some new shirts for summer and mom needed some new comfy pajamas. I also found an outfit for a wedding we're attending in early June. Following the mall, we all went to TCBY for tasty frozen yogurt. It was a fun evening!

We're looking forward to the three-day weekend ahead. Not sure what we're doing on Saturday yet. Sunday is Theron and Hudson's birthday party at the farm. And not sure what Monday will bring. I want to take the boys to the cemeteries on Sunday to leave flowers for our relatives. We do it every year and I love it -- it teaches them to honor their relatives and learn about our family history. Mazy likes to take plastic Army men to leave on the gravestones of soldiers. I think they would appreciate that. Plus, I like walking around the cemeteries -- they're beautiful places and very peaceful and interesting.

Well, that's all for today. Have a good Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a budding engineer on your hands, Keesia!

    ReplyDelete