One-Yard Wonders projects

Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Heart the Farmers Market

There is no better way to start your day than getting up early and heading to the farmers market! If you have a farmers market in or near your community, do yourself and all the vendors a favor by attending it as often as you can! It's good for your health and your soul!

The boys, mom and I left the house at 7:30 and headed downtown. It was opening day at Des Moines Farmers Market -- one of the best in the nation! Back in the day, when it was not quite so crowded, I could always find parking on one of the bridges in downtown. Those days are long gone apparently. Now I am forced to join all the suburbanites who park in the free parking ramps.

Anyway, we had a great time. Mazy wrote a food review about all the things he ate. In fact, I started a whole new blog for Mazy. You can find his newest review, and an archive of all his old ones, here at Mazy's Food Adventures. Not only did the boys get to pick out what they ate for breakfast, but I also let them both buy two types of fresh produce for us to cook with this week. Bo picked some beautiful red radishes and green onions. Mazy picked some cilantro and fresh flowers for me. I picked a bag of freshly picked mixed greens. We ate everything but the cilantro and flowers tonight with our pasta. I LOVE fresh garden produce!

After the market, Shawn and Mom went to the flea market at the fairgrounds. Shawn found the remaining item we needed for Mazy's costume for Book Character Day at his school next week. It's going to be so cute on him!! I can't wait to show you some pictures of it.

Then I worked in the front porch much of the afternoon -- sorting toys and filling the back of the van with toys to donate to Bo's daycare. The boys would have a heart attack if they saw everything I am getting rid of... But it feels so good to start decluttering our house! And don't worry, Shawn and I are getting rid of many of our things as well. It's not just the boys who are parting with stuff.

Well, it's getting late and I need to get to bed. Violet will be up soon and hungry. She will likely go to the farmers market with me next Saturday! Have a great Sunday, everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment