One-Yard Wonders projects

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Flu Recovery and Our First Snowstorm of the Year

Not long after I blogged yesterday morning, Mazy began saying his stomach hurt. Since we had been exposed to the flu on Saturday (my nephew Kael came down with it not long after the Hooters lunch), I knew what was likely coming and prepared for it with several towels, an empty 5-gallon kitty litter bucket and an emergency grocery list for Shawn.

The flu hit at about 10:30 a.m. or so. Mazy is an excellent vomitter. He never missed his bucket! And I have to say that as the cleaner-upper, I really appreciated that. He had the flu until about 9 p.m., and then he was able to eat a few grapes and some watered-down 7-Up without getting sick. By this morning, he was requesting McDonald's for breakfast... And if that's not a true test for your digestive system I don't know what is.

Shawn stayed home with him today so I could attend a bunch of meetings I had scheduled for the day. It's lucky he did. We had not been paying attention to the news or weather reports and woke up to a couple of inches of snow and some bad roads for the morning commute. By mid-morning, he and Mazy were shoveling the driveway. Then they went to Walmart and then picked me up for a quick Mexican lunch. (I know.. McDonald's followed by Mexican... The boy has a quickly-recovering iron stomach I guess.)

And that's about all the excitement of today.

This Saturday is Shawn's 36th birthday. The boys and I are busy planning the day. We will surprise him with breakfast (menu to be determined), take him to Zombie Burger for lunch (his choice, with much prompting and pleading from Mazy), then to an office supply store to let him test-drive and choose his birthday present -- a new computer chair! -- and then an afternoon at home, followed by a homemade supper and dessert (menu also to be determined). Sunday will be a small family gathering at his parents' house and two NFL Playoff games. The Packers lost. As you probably know. I was rather surprised they did after that stellar season, but alas, all good things come to an end. So at least we don't have to worry about the party interrupting the Packers.

And I do believe that's about all for today!

Oh wait! I have a neighbor/camper fire update!!! Last night after Shawn took the garbage and recycling to the curb, our neighbor came out and talked to him!! Yes, can you believe it! I thought it was a lost cause. He came inside and said, "I hope you're happy! You're mean!" And I said, "What did I do now?" And he said, "Our neighbor just talked to me and said she was sorry she hadn't been over before, but her mother is in the hospital dying and she hasn't been home much since the camper fire."

Me: "Oh. Well, that's too bad. But seriously, she couldn't drop us an email in a week and a half?"

So as is often the case, the situation was not nearly as bad as I was making it out to be. My own anger and impatience led me to negative and mean thoughts and comments, and I am sorry I disparaged our neighbor. She too has State Farm insurance so hopefully this will all be figured out soon. There. Are you happy, Shawn? I publicly apologized for calling her a loser and white trash and jerk face and whatever else I might have said.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment