One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, October 24, 2011

And the Story Continues

I didn't make it to the hospital today, or yesterday. I know, I'm not a good granddaughter. To be perfectly honest, I dread going and knowing that each time might be the last time. And that's a shitty attitude, pardon the curse word. But it is. And I know that. And I will work up the courage to go again and stop treating each visit as the last one. Instead, I should treat each one as an extra visit, one more chance to ask questions and pump Grandma for interesting stories about her life.

Tonight my aunt Sherie -- who is not a coward and who has been at the hospital constantly since this all began -- called to relay a new story from Grandma. Grandma specifically requested that she call me and tell me this for my blog.

She and Grandpa have never told anyone this before. For their entire 62 years of marriage, they have awoken each morning, hugged each other and said, "I love you."

She wanted me to know that for the Grandma Maxine book. That story makes me smile and I can just imagine them doing that.

On Friday night, when I was having my heart-to-heart with Grandma, she told me that people did not think she and Grandpa would make it as a couple. She said they were very different. He just had a high school education and had returned from serving in the Navy. She was a young school teacher, recently graduated from Drake University with several degrees. Grandpa is an ornery, fun-loving, storyteller. Grandma is cool, calm, composed and avoids talking about herself and her past at all costs. Yet, they made it.

Jeez, I'm going to make myself cry. Let's just say, they've been very happy and have set a wonderful example for a good marriage for all of their family to follow.

Grandma's still at the hospital. We don't know what will happen. She was assigned new doctors today. We hope she will get to go home and be made comfortable for as long as possible. Until then, I promise to go see her soon and get some new stories for us.

1 comment:

  1. For gods sake, warn me about these blogs before I read them. :)
    H

    ReplyDelete