One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Rumors of Her Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Well, what can I say: Grandma is alive and kickin. Don't ask me what's going on. Yesterday morning, when I was expecting a phone call to say she'd passed away, instead I got one that said she was sitting in an easy chair, drinking Starbucks coffee and eating pumpkin bread.

Turns out not even Grandma can command death to do her wishes. While she might have been ready and prepared to die, apparently the high powers didn't agree with her. I think this is the first and only time someone has disagreed with Grandma and won. 

So, as it should, life went on. We held an abbreviated version of our annual Halloween party at the farm in Des Moines at my aunt and uncle's house. It included a giant pile of leaves for them to jump in, Halloween bingo with prizes, pumpkin carving and all the candy and juice they wanted to consume. It was a celebration after all -- on the way to the party is when we learned the doctor said Grandma would likely go home and live several more years.

Lord, my nerves are shot. But I slept all night long and woke up today smiling and ready to get my house cleaned up, some laundry done, groceries bought and probably a quick trip to the hospital to see Grandma and tell her she now has to write a book with me.

Hope you all have a happy Sunday. Call a friend or relative you haven't seen in awhile. And stay tuned for pictures of the Halloween party and updates on Wonder Grandma. 

By the way, it was Mark Twain who wrote, "The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." Grandma is a big Twain fan and she and her brother were joking about this yesterday... In fact, at one point  Grandma said, "I'm going to be so embarrassed if I live after I told everyone I was going to die."

1 comment:

  1. Fall's most vibrant leaves cling tightest to the trees. Hang on to that branch, Grandma. The view from there is awesome.

    ReplyDelete