One-Yard Wonders projects

Saturday, May 7, 2011

I'm Back! I Promise!

First, my apologies for not blogging lately. It was just one of those weeks.... But I'm back now and will be posting each day again. Mainly because I enjoy taking a few minutes each day to relax and write about the good things in life.

Speaking of good things, Bo and I just returned from opening day at the Downtown Farmers Market!! Yeahhhh! We arrived at 7:30 and it was already crowded and bustling with people -- all happy to be in the sunshine and ready for the best farmers market in the nation!

We bought some soup and brownie mixes for Grandma Maxine's Mother's Day present -- two soups, one noodle bake and sweet potato brownies! (the woman assured me that the sweet potato brownies are "to die for" so we shall see) Next we bought a big cup full of freshly sliced watermelon for Bo. He was riding in the stroller so it was the perfect starter course for him. Then we went to Saloo's for potato cutlets and samoas. Yum! They are my favorite food at the market. Absolutely delicious. Then it was on to the mustard shop for a four-pack mustard sampler for Shawn's mom and a small jar of mustard for Grandma Maxine's basket.

By then it was 8:15 and the crowd was really picking up so Bo and I decided to head out and go to Hy-Vee's Garden Center to pick out some flowers for all the grandmas. I think he made great choices -- pink geranium for Grandma Katy, orange marigolds for Grandma Maxine, some kind of red annual for Grandma Belinda, a red flower for Aunt Sherie, and purple petunias for me!

Meanwhile, Shawn and Mazy went to the flea market at the state fairgrounds. They're stopping at the grocery store for some ingredients for a pasta salad we're taking to our noon picnic today.

Past and upcoming highlights:
  • Attend teacher appreciation night and fundraiser last night for Mazy's school. It was held at Architectural Salvage -- a four-story warehouse full of all kinds of cool junk. It was a really nice event. Catered by some of my favorite restaurants in town, Lucca and Court Avenue Brewery. We tried to buy the package donated by Mazy's teacher: cracking geodes at Mr. Kerns house. But, alas, Mr. Kerns is the most popular teacher at the school and we capped out at $100. We left soon after so we will have to wait until Monday to learn who got Mr. Kerns!
  • We toured a new daycare for Bo yesterday that I think will be a great fit for him. They don't have an opening until June 1 so we're trying to figure out what to do. I'd like to send him to his current daycare for one more week and then see if Shawn and I can figure out a schedule so he has about three weeks when he's not attending any daycare. I think a break (and intensive potty training so he can go to the new daycare!) will be great for him.
  • Tomorrow is Mother's Day, of course. Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful moms out there!! I'm planning a breakfast picnic at Easter Lake to tour its famous lilac grove and then at 2 p.m., Mom and I head North to Minneapolis! I'll be at the Confab conference until Wednesday night. But I'll have my laptop with me so I'll be sure to tell you what's happening.
That's all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day! Sounds like a good day for you. I'm excited for my day also - all kids at home at some point - lots of people around my table. Dad said he was taking flowers to Mom's grave today, thought that was nice and I appreciate it. Have fun on your trip! When I am home next I want to go to the Farmers Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, I'm glad Grandpa took flowers to Grandma's grave. I know Doug, Jean and Marla were going to do the same. I will get some out there for Memorial Day weekend. Hope your day today was great and that you didn't have to work too hard! Mother's Day today, and your first day as a grandmother tomorrow!! How exciting and wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete