One-Yard Wonders projects

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Up, Up, And Away! Easter Capes for the Boys

Last night I was perusing some of my favorite crafting blogs and saw this headline: "Last Minute Gifts for Easter Baskets." Duh, why didn't I think to make something for the boys' Easter baskets?? I looked at the calendar and realized I had plenty of time to find an easy project and that's when I saw this on PrudentBaby.com:

My sister will probably request this for a Christmas present. :)

Seeing the princess cape reminded me that I had seen a pattern for super hero capes a few months ago. I tracked down the tutorial at the Southern Institute for Domestic Arts and Crafts blog. I couldn't believe how easy and inexpensive the pattern was to create capes like these:

These are not my children. My Super Heroes will be shown in their capes after Easter morning.
Tonight after the boys were in bed, I found a stack of old t-shirts and pulled out a red one and a gray one. The capes barely require any sewing; they're so easy! Once I had cut out the capes, I asked my personal artist, Shawn, to draw the symbols for the back of each cape. I gave him creative license to design personal symbols for each boy. Then I used more old t-shirt fabric to cut out the symbols  -- isn't that a great craft just in time for Earth Day?! Reuse and recycle.

Bo's cape is finished and Mazy's just needs the symbols sewed on. I'm also making them each "power bands" that they can wear on their arms. I can't wait to see them on Easter morning!

Friday is going to be a great day -- no work!! Whoo whoo whoo! I'm going to sew in the morning, shop for Bo's dresser around lunchtime, buy Easter candy and groceries for Easter meals, and then I think we're all going to Nevada for supper for Shawn's Dad's birthday. Happy birthday, Dwayne!

Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment