One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring Cleaning... Early!

Today I cleaned house. Like really cleaned -- dusted windowsills, scrubbed the hardwood floors, vacuumed dust from behind the bookcase, dusted picture frames and so forth. It is so nice to look around the downstairs and see sparkling clean surfaces!

The only downside to making today an early spring-cleaning day is that I missed our niece Becca's birthday party. Shawn and the boys attended and spent the afternoon and early evening in Nevada -- which is why I was able to get so much cleaning done!

Our next two weekends are booked and then it will officially be spring and I will spend most of my free time outdoors with the boys, enjoying the warmer temps and not thinking about the housework indoors.

I also went through a bunch of magazines this afternoon and ripped out anything I found interesting -- from recipes and gift ideas, to gardening tips and decorating suggestions to things I might like to collect in the future.

Let's see, what else? Grandma Maxine's birthday party was a lot of fun on Saturday. She seemed to really enjoy the fancy lunch and gifts we had planned for her. She admired the bag I made and complimented the sewing -- high praise from a lifelong seamstress! I also printed off the last three months of my blog and included that with her present. I've probably said this before, but when I decide to write my first book one day, it's going to be dedicated to Grandma Maxine, who taught me how to diagram sentences and write A+ essays, and who has always been my No. 1 fan. My second book will be dedicated to my mom, who passed on a love of reading that has been with me since age 8 or so. I will never forget the first night that she suggested I read a book at bedtime to help me fall asleep. I had watched the Wizard of Oz that night and was scared by the flying monkeys. She came up and said I could turn on a small light and read for awhile. 798 books later, I'm still reading in bed nearly every night! And I have successfully passed on that love of reading to both my boys. I suppose Shawn can take some credit for that as well. He reads as much, if not more, than me.

Anyway, I need to switch laundry and work on my mom's birthday present so I better sign off. We're headed to Kansas City on Thursday night after work so I need to have the gifts ready by Wednesday. Mom's b-day is Friday. Have a great Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment