One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Scrapbooks, Mom and Camp Sunnyside

Well that was a fantastic weekend! It's 10 p.m. Sunday. I haven't been on a computer since Thursday night -- that in itself is a great feat! There's so much to tell you about. I have photos that I'll share later this week. Here's a quick recap of what's been happening since I last blogged:
  • Friday AM -- Shawn helped me unload my supplies at Camp Sunnyside at 10 a.m. We chatted with mom, sister-in-law Keri and her mom Kristi until about 10:40. 
  • Friday at 11:15 a.m. -- Mazy's culminating event at school! Each child gave a short presentation about teeth that he/she wrote,  memorized and then presented using a microphone to about 50 adults in the gym. It still amazes me that kindergartners can do this!! I can't imagine being on a stage in front of adults, giving a presentation on teeth that I had written and illustrated with artwork. Amazing. And Mazy was A-Mazying too! I'll show you the transcript of his presentation and artwork and photos later this week.
  • Friday lunch -- Mazy, Shawn and I all had lunch together at the Kaleidoscope Food Court in the Skywalk. It was so much fun! Mazy and I had Mexican, Shawn had Chinese. The place was packed. Afterward, we let Mazy buy a treat at the convenience store.
  • Friday afternoon and evening until 10 p.m. -- Scrapbooking at Camp Sunnyside!!! This is an annual fundraiser for Camp Sunnyside -- which serves children and adults with special needs. It was our third year to attend and we have a blast every year! 
  • Saturday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. -- More scrapbooking! It is so much fun. Not only do you get to be creative with papers and stickers and markers and all kinds of tools and gadgets, but you get to spend your day reminiscing about your life and sharing your favorite photos of your children and remembering all the fun events we do as a family. Fun, fun, fun!! AND they invite 10 or so vendors who are selling everything from scrapbook supplies to purses to jewelry to food to toys to books to massages! And there's a "garage sale" with all kinds of scrapbook and craft supplies that are donated by all the people who attend the event. You can get some really great stuff for hardly anything!
  • Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. -- You guessed it, more scrapbooking! I finished my 2010 family album, my 2010 Halloween pages, and started an album for all my 2011 sewing projects! And at the scrapbook crop, they give away 40 door prizes a day! Mom won FOUR times!! I won once -- a cool travel-themed scrapbook kit.
  • Sunday at 5:30 p.m. -- Mom and I met Shawn and the boys at Chili's for an early supper. I was so excited to see my guys!!!! I had missed them and when I saw those two sweet little boys turn the corner and head toward the table my heart skipped a beat and I couldn't wait to kiss them and hug them and admire their new hairdos! Shawn surprised me by taking the boys to get haircuts this morning. They were about 2 months overdue... And they look so cute and so grownup now!!! I'll show you before and afters later this week.
  • Sunday 6:30 to 8 p.m. -- Played with the boys. Showed them my scrapbooks. Read them bedtime stories and kissed them each about 50 times. 
  • Sunday 8 to 10 p.m. -- Played with my new sewing fabrics and notions that arrived in the mail while I was gone. And I finished my Mom's birthday present... At least most of it. I think I will make a couple things to go with it. I'll show you it as soon as I give it to her. I don't want to spoil her present!
OK, so that was my fun-filled three-day weekend. Mom and I stayed at a hotel in Ankeny Friday and Saturday nights so I really was away from the boys and Shawn that entire time. It sounds like the three of them had a fun boys-weekend though, so it worked out well for all of us!

Thanks Mom, for a fabulous scrapbooking weekend. I love spending time alone with you and enjoying one of our favorite hobbies! And thank you, thank you, thank you, Shawn, for giving me this 3-day weekend every year to get away, relax, spend my birthday money and hang out with my mom. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious, it sounds like so much fun! I told Steve it was time I start trying to get back up their for the annual 3-day get away! Plus, I'm at least three years behind on scrapbooking, ugh.

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete