One-Yard Wonders projects

Friday, February 4, 2011

Mazy's "Love" Boat... of Death!!

I'm pretty sure Mazy will have the only Titantic-themed box at his Valentine's Day party. We finished it last night, as he is out of school all next week for February break and his teacher suggested the kids make them early so they wouldn't forget them on Monday the 14th, when they return.

 Mazy & the Titantic Valentine's Day Box
The white box on the left is the iceberg, and that's where the Valentine's will go. The Titantic is sinking into the ocean, and just one half of it is left -- that's why it's vertical. If you look closely, you can see me and baby Mazy escaping into a lifeboat and a poor fellow hanging onto the railing... That might be Shawn, I don't know.

Love SOS
Mazy is very proud of his box. We  used a lot of tape, but it turned out pretty cool. His drawings are awesome! I love the jagged iceberg and the little man falling into the water.


A quick preview of the weekend: tomorrow morning is the winter snow carnival at the Downtown Brenton Skating Plaza. Then a quick lunch, a stop for Super Bowl groceries and off to the farm for the rest of the weekend. I'm taking my scrapbook supplies -- I have to finish Mazy's adventure book before Valentine's Day! I did Bo's last fall!!! Then the Super Bowl party on Sunday with all-Wisconsin themed food -- brats, beer, cheese, ice cream, Door County cherry pie, a fish boil on Saturday night, we even found Door County coffee! 

Now, on to the quilt shop hop review!

 This was the first store we went to in Creston, Iowa. 

 The first two fabrics I bought -- I loved the red with black polkadots and the way it contrasted with the daisy print. 

 Oooh, this was the most expensive fabric of the day -- the Moda Botany line. One for me and one for sis Heidi. We're entering a contest in March and will each make a project using these fabrics. Aren't they springy and bright and fun! The middle piece, with the heart-shaped leaves, is my favorite. It has little tiny frogs on lily pads on it!

 Dino fabric for Bo's bedside book holder that I'm going to make him.

 Really cool map fabric that I found on the clearance rack in Osceola! I bought the rest of the bolt -- about 2.5 yards. Mazy fell in love with it and wanted to hang the entire piece in his room! I wrestled it away from him but promised to make him something with it.

 This was also expensive fabric but I TOTALLY loved this collection -- it's called Neptune. An abstract nautical theme but the blues and greens in it are absolutely beautiful!!!! 

 My future paleontologist's fabric. He hasn't decided what he wants me to make it into yet, but he suggested a pair of shorts... I'm not sure about that. :)

Both of these prints were also on a clearance rack -- this picture doesn't show their goldeny sheens very well. Both are kind of funky, but I think they'll be cool together.

And there were quite a few others.... I haven't photographed all of them yet, but you will eventually see them as I start making projects. And who knows, some of them may end up in your mailbox one day!

Have a great weekend everyone!!! Go Packers!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good ideas for the charm packet. I need to keep it simple since I haven't sewn for a long time. Does one charm packet make one project?

    Other projects I liked: Charming hand bag, grocery bag dispenser (though I want this to match my kitchen), skinny verna table runner.

    love the valentine Mazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think we should try this with some other fabric. This is cute and easy!

    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/simple-circles-table-runner.html

    ReplyDelete