One-Yard Wonders projects

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happy 200th Blog Post to Me!

This is my 200th post! That's pretty awesome! Thank you all who read about life in Des Moines, Iowa. I love your comments -- they're my favorite part of blogging!

So, back to today. It was cold, cold, cold. But that didn't stop me and Mazy from our monthly museum visit -- to the State Historical Building near the Capitol. I love that place. And so does he. We took his museum journal, a box of colored pencils and a pencil sharpener. He chooses three to five exhibits to learn more about and then draws a picture of them in his journal. At the end of the year, it should be a pretty cool book for him.

Today his three drawings were:
  • 1940s era bi-plane that hangs in the atrium
  • Woolly mammoth display of a mammoth found in Iowa
  • Coal mine display 
We also had lunch at Barratta's Italian Cafe on the top floor and bought a souvenir for him (fossilized shark teeth) and one for Bo (an old-timey wooden pop gun) and two small gifts for cousins Theron and Hudson's Valentine's Day cards.

Here are some photos of the museum trip:

 Drawing the bi-plane in the atrium. It was freezing in there! Hence the stocking cap...

 The 1940s-era bi-plane that hangs in the atrium with two other planes.

 Closeup of a crazy quilt in the Iowa Crazy Quilts display. They're all very cool!

 Another crazy quilt.

Mazy and a crazy quilt at a crazy photo angle. (ooh, artsy!)

Mazy and the mammoth. (He's the dark blob toward the right.)

OK, after the museum we came home and crafted in the basement -- Mazy wrote two books on  his crafting table while I FINISHED!!!! my first-ever quilted potholder for a contest I'm entering!!! I have never machine-quilted before so it was fun to learn how to do that. And I have enough fabric leftover that I can make another one of these! I love this potholder -- so bright and fun!


I went outside to photograph it on the snow -- our house is so dark this time of year. Anyway, the light and colors still seem off. It's brighter and cheerier in person!

Tomorrow I begin working from home. Ugh. Anytime I have a few days away from work I realize how bored I typically am with my job... But, I am getting the opportunity to work from home so who can complain about that?!?! Stay warm!

3 comments:

  1. Love your pot holder! Did you have to get special heat proof material? I like the journal idea, I think that would be a great "summer activities" journal for T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy insulated batting for inside the pot holder -- just use cotton fabric (not polyester) and you can pretty much make them from anything! Granmda Maxine always used a couple layers of old denim, which would work like the insulated batting. and yes, I think Mazy's journal idea is so fun! I bet T would love doing something like that this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - so impressed with Mazy and his museum experience and your pot holder! Bummer that you have to work from home today, but like you said, at least at home. Have a good one - give me a text if you get bored, I'm at Gap today. We had snow last night, but not enough to cancel work for Logan or me. Which is great, b/c Logan does NOT like staying home. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete