One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, January 31, 2011

100th Day of School

If it's been awhile since you've been a student, like me, you may not be aware of a new celebration that most elementary schools now hold -- the 100th day of school. Tomorrow is Mazy's 100th day of kindergarten at the Downtown School. His class is actually celebrating on Friday, but tonight we worked on one of the two projects he has been assigned to celebrate 100 days of learning -- a t-shirt with 100 things on it.

Our original idea was to glue 100 Legos onto the shirt. But we were afraid that would be distracting and tempting for other children to steal. (No, we do not trust kindergartners thank you very much.) Then we thought about dinosaurs -- but again, too distracting and tempting.

Then Shawn suggested stamping something onto the shirt so today he brought home a stamper with about 10 different designs from which to choose. Mazy chose the ever-popular smiley face:


First we laid out five rows of painters tape to help him keep his rows in order. Then we set him loose with the stamper:

He did a great job counting and quickly mastered how to make the stamps as dark as possible. We helped toward the end, just to speed up the process so we could begin bedtime stories, but he pretty much did it all. And most importantly, he loves the finished project! Tomorrow night we might do 100 star stamps on the back. Or maybe not. He hasn't decided.

So the big storm is supposedly coming. I tried not to get the boys' hopes up that we could have a snow day tomorrow, but I also couldn't help telling them that we might have a snow day tomorrow... I can't help it! I'm like a kid in the winter -- I want a snow day so much!!! I loved snow days as a kid and I want the boys to experience them as well. Too bad for them that Des Moines public schools NEVER close.... Just one snow day is all I'm asking for. We shall see...

Better wrap this up tonight. I need to make a rotisserie chicken still. We had fajitas tonight -- we were going to have them last night but the birthday party included an early dinner of pizza, salads, chips and delicious cupcakes. It was super fun. The boys had a blast!

1 comment:

  1. Theron is celebrating 100 days on Wednesday, how funny! I think they are having a little party. Tell Maze I love his shirt!

    ReplyDelete