One-Yard Wonders projects

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veterans Day

This week I met a Waterloo, Iowa, family who has been through a lot this year. Their 25-year-old son was injured and paralyzed while serving in the U.S. Army Medic Corp in Iraq. Their 23-year-old daughter was in the U.S. Air Force when the accident happened. She has been helping care for her brother ever since. Right now they're in Minneapolis at the VA Hospital. They're big Iowa Hawkeye fans and they're taking their son to the Iowa vs. Minnesota game on Thanksgiving weekend. It will be one of his first major outings since he's been injured. I rarely cheer for the Hawkeyes, but I sure hope they win that day for Ian.

One of my clients donated windows and doors to the family so they can renovate their home and get it ready for their son's return, which is hopefully going to be right before Christmas. Their son is doing pretty well. He's still breathing through a ventilator but they hope to wean him off soon. He's paralyzed from the neck down but they think he may one day regain partial use of his hands and maybe legs.

Tomorrow on Veterans Day I'll be thinking of them, and all the other families and veterans who are trying to make it through one day at a time as they deal with terrible injuries and memories.

I'll also be thinking of Grandpa Pud, who served in the Navy during World War II. And Uncle Doug, who served with the Marines during the Vietnam years. And my cousin Seth who just joined the Iowa National Guard and is in Afghanistan for the next year and a half. And countless others who have made a decision to serve this country.

I won't lie. I'm not a fan of our military history or our military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't think we should be sending 25-year-olds to Iraq only to see them return shattered and broken. But I am a fan of anyone who makes that decision, and who believes in this country so much they are willing to die for it. I wouldn't want to do it. I hope my boys never want to do it. But I thank those who do want to do it, and thank their families for the sacrifices they make to support sons, daughters, husbands and wives who are far from home and in constant danger.

If you get a chance, thank a veteran on Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that sister! I can't imagine being in the military but certainly so appreciate those that were/are.

    ReplyDelete