One-Yard Wonders projects

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

T-Rex Tuesday


Henceforth, Tuesday night will be T-Rex Tuesday at our house. I don't know what that means exactly, but Mazy has declared it and so it shall be.

The main change I noticed tonight from last Tuesday night was that all of our food at dinnertime became themed, such as T-Rex salad, T-Rex legs, T-Rex potatoes. I drew the line when he asked me to cut his apple to look like a T-Rex skull. I'm crafty, but come on, there are limits to my knife skills.

Speaking of vicious creatures that like to bite, Bo had another stellar day at daycare today... And by stellar, I mean that he bit a "friend" in the morning and bit another "friend" in the afternoon at recess. And he "laughed at the teachers" when they told him no. And he "refused to sit in cool down". I'm glad Shawn was the one to pick him up. :)

If you do not have young children in daycare or in school, you probably have not noticed how all teachers and caregivers now refer to all children as "friends." Preschool teacher on a field trip last year: "I have some friends in the backseat who need to stop hitting each other." Daycare provider: "Bo bit his friends today." Elementary teacher: "Friends, we need to stop running around and take our seats."

Children are not our friends. OK? Let's set the record straight. We're adults -- it is part of our job to look out for these youngsters, ensure their safety, prepare them for life and when possible enjoy their company and hope they enjoy ours. However, that does not make them our friends. Secondly, you don't bite your friend. You bite the kid who is annoying you. You bite people yo don't like. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't bite him, period, but let's not call him a "friend."

The more I hear people use this term, the more it annoys me. We don't have to be friends with everyone. You should be "friendly" to everyone, except in obvious cases. But you do not need to be friends with everyone on the planet. In fact, I would like to encourage children to be more choosy about who they label a friend.

Just food for thought. Not much happening this week, so get used to it!

1 comment:

  1. Just now having time to read....that "friends" bit is stupid! Totally agree with you - I think one of the problems might be that we are trying to be kids friends, and maybe lose some of their respect along the way!

    ReplyDelete