We have a lot of family coming to town soon for our annual fall picnic. So, since I don't really have anything else to write about tonight I decided to list a few must-sees for relatives who haven't been to Des Moines for awhile, or anyone else visiting our great city. In no particular order:
1. Pappajohn Sculptural Garden -- We are so proud of this sculptural garden and think you will love strolling through it and admiring the strange sculptures. Afterward, walk a little further East to check out the Central Library and its water garden, and grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks or even better, a bowl of pepperjack potato soup at South Union Bakery.
2. The new Center Street Bridge over the Des Moines River, part of the new Principal Riverwalk. It is a really cool pedestrian bridge that doesn't connect much of anything yet, but it's fun to walk across, especially at night!
3. Historic East Village -- a great area to window shop, enjoy great food, drinks at trendy bars, coffee at locally owned shops, etc. Plus, the area is beautiful and gives you an awesome view of the Capitol and Downtown.
4. Downtown Farmers Market -- a Saturday morning tradition for thousands of people, if you are in town May through October, don't miss it!!! Some of my favorite vendors: Something Italian breakfast pizza, Farm Boys burritos, Saloo's Indian food, Java Joe's iced coffee, Maytag Farms blue cheese, the guy who sells the really funky mushrooms, and everything else! It's so much fun.
5. The Heritage Carousel of Des Moines -- just two blocks south of our house is the most beautiful carousel in the state. Just 50 cents a ride! The animals are awesome -- the pirate cat with the peg leg is our favorite
Those are my recommendations for now. I'll post some of my favorite new restaurants soon!