One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, August 5, 2013

This Is Iowa: Generational Wisdom

One of the main reasons I chose to live in Iowa as an adult was so my children would have the benefit of growing up near grandparents and great-grandparents.

We spent a ton of time with our grandparents when we were growing up. We lived less than five miles from both sets of grandparents and one set of great-grandparents. They had a huge hand in raising us and teaching us lessons about life. My kids aren't so lucky to live that close to their grandparents, but we try to get them to their houses as often as we can.

This summer I've had the pleasure of seeing my grandparents several times during family events at the farm. On the 4th, my sister and I relived many summer memories of baking with Grandma Maxine when she helped us pit fresh cherries and make a cherry pie. It was great!

Here are a few more pictures of my grandparents at the farm. The only one missing is Grandma Betty -- but I think of her every time I chase after my little redheaded Violet Betty.

Grandma Maxine pitting fresh cherries for our pie.

Grandma and Heidi pitting cherries.

Grandma and Hudson
I love this picture because it's so rare to get Grandma to smile in a picture when she knows you're taking it!

Grandpa Pud, Hudson and Heidi

Grandpa Keith walking back to check on the cattle.

Grandpa Keith

Playing catch with his great-grandsons, grandsons and sons.

Reflecting by the pool

Violet Betty and Great-Grandpa Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment