One-Yard Wonders projects

Monday, October 10, 2011

Wow, What a Weekend!

I've got lots of pics that I hope to get on tonight, but in the meantime, let me just say. Wow. What a weekend!

Friday night -- we could not have asked for a nicer evening for an outdoor movie at sister-in-law Denise's house. They created an 8 x 8-ft movie screen in the backyard, had two big speakers and even wireless connection to play music videos before the movie began! It was a blast!!! The boys loved it, the adults loved it and everyone decided we must do it again. Thanks to Nick, Matt, Denise and Mark for a wonderful night! (and good food for supper and delicious treats for the movies!)

Saturday -- where to begin... Flea market and consignment sale at the fairgrounds for Mom and Shawn. Art class for Mazy. Nature hike for me and Bo at Greenwood Park. Trip to Architectural Salvage and Valley Junction for me and mom in the afternoon. AND the World Food Fest for supper! Again, another day of unseasonably warm weather and blue skies. The international food offerings were outstanding and we all had a really great time! OK, Shawn and I got into a spat on the way there. I was driving and found a not legal, but probably not illegal parking space and he didn't think I should park there. I thought I could get away with it. We ended up finding a legal space a few streets away and actually enjoyed the walk to and from the van. But it did lead to about an hour of us not really speaking to each other. :)  Hey, even happy couples have fights!

Sunday -- 45th annual Wirt Picnic! It was one of the smallest crowds in years, but that did not stop us from having a great time. I think it's one of the few Wirt picnics that was held during an official "burn ban". Can't believe how dry it is!! We had buckets of water nearby in case we needed them. Of course, with the high winds, it's likely the entire cornfield would have gone up in just a few minutes had we accidentally started a fire. But hey, that's a risk you take for continuing a 45-year family tradition! It was a very laid back picnic with lots of children and babies running about and keeping us all entertained. WE had our hayride into the timber. A few brave and fit souls walked down the killer hill to the original picnic grounds (not me, I was being lazy). I'm glad we've started going down to that area again. It really is the most beautiful spot and I have great memories of hiking back to it each fall and searching for buckeyes under the tree. It's moved to a more accessible area, but I will always think of the original spot as the home of the Wirt picnic.

OK, lunch is over. Better get back to work. Look for a photo roundup soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment