One-Yard Wonders projects

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Out on the Town

Well, last night we discovered that a lot of restaurants have closed in Des Moines!

When I called our first choice, Azalea down on Court Ave., the recording said they were out of business. Bummer. I liked that place. So then Shawn picked Thai food, so I said, "Oooh, I have a great place -- Ban Thai in the East Village." So we drove over there, and it was out of business! But, a new Thai restaurant had replaced it so we decided to give it a try. It was very good and did not disappoint. The name was very generic, like The Thai Palace or something.

After dinner, we headed to WDM to the bookstore. Browsed around awhile. Decided to buy a Lego MiniFigure pack for everyone in the family -- I told you we were Lego nerds! And then I said, "It's your birthday, let's go for dessert!"

Shawn picked ice cream. Ice cream. It was literally -10 wind chill at that time and I could not resign myself to eating cold ice cream. So I asked him to choose again. He decided on a scone and coffee from Starbucks. We went to Star Bucks up the street and it was closed already... I remembered there was a Caribou Coffee not too far away, so we headed there next. And it was out of business! It's now some Cactus Grill or something. So then I suggested La Mie Bakery but when we got there, we decided that everything would probably have dairy in it b/c it's a pretty fancy bakery that likely uses real butter. We had just passed Fredrick's Coffee Shop so we went back there. It was closing, but the two gals working were more than happy to wait on us. Shawn got a giant chocolate cookie and I ordered chai tea latter and a dark chocolate/almond biscotti.

Special thanks to Jenny and Luke for babysitting -- we appreciated it! Today we're headed to Ames for lunch with Shawn's parents and then an afternoon at their house. I'm determined to finish Irelyn and Imersyn's quilts today! And hopefully start another One-Yard Wonder project as well.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment