One-Yard Wonders projects

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Foolproof Fish

If you're scared of fish, this recipe is for you! I will GUARANTEE flaky, moist fish every time. (And if you didn't know, guarantees are hard to come by these days...)

Tonight's supper was great: fish and shrimp foil packets, carrots and wilted spinach, and mashed potatoes. Cooking fish in foil is seriously the way to go. You can't screw it up! I like to add a couple lemon slices, a fast drizzle of olive oil, a healthy sprinkle of dill weed (my all-time favorite herb) and a little salt and pepper. Spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray, then layer your ingredients, beginning with the fish fillets, then raw shrimp, then lemon slices, oil, and other seasonings. Fold the foil into a tent, folding the sides as well so no liquid or steam can escape. Then bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. Yum!

Also, I read in a magazine that you should cook carrots whole, and then cut them up so you don't lose the nutrients. So I tried it tonight. They were delicious! At the last minute, I added a tablespoon of margarine and four handfuls of fresh spinach. I sauteed it for about a minute until the spinach was just beginning to wilt, then seasoned it with salt and pepper. Bo ate a TON of carrots. Mazy ate a TON of fish and shrimp, and a reasonable amount of veggies. Neither touched their mashed potatoes. But Shawn and I ate and enjoyed it all!

Heading to the basement soon for more work in my future "studio" -- doesn't that sound glamorous? The studio part, not going to a basement...

Local restaurant review: I had lunch at an awesome new pizza joint downtown, Flour. Isn't that a great name?! You can check out their site, here. I had clam/roasted cherry tomato pizza. It was DELISH! I got the salad/pizza combo, with a drink, for about $9. The slices are huge. The salad was fantastic -- mandarin oranges, feta cheese, pecans, champagne dressing. Yum-yum-yum. It's within walking distance of Central Library and the Sculpture Garden so I predict they will do very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment