One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yardwork, Adventureland, 4-H and more!

My neck hurts. It could be from pulling weeds. It could be from riding thrill rides at Adventureland. It could be from napping on the couch after Mazy's 4-H meeting. But I think it's probably from Mazy and Bo both jumping on me to wake me up from my nap. Talk about bony little knees and elbows!

It was a delightful day. Our dear nephews Nick and Matt arrived bright and early at 7:30 a.m. to help finish tearing out all the bushes, stumps and weeds from the new "playground" in the backyard. Talk about two great young men. I just love those boys. They're from Shawn's side of the family. Hardly boys -- 23 and 21, I think. We tried to pay them with cash, but Nick just wanted a tatertot casserole. So I happily made him one while they worked. They brought and assortment of chainsaws, weed whackers and other tools and in an hour and a half, our weed patch was gone! I'm sure the neighbors appreciated the chainsaw wakeup call. :)

Then it was off to Adventureland with the boys. We met Uncle D, Aunt Jean and Marla. Bo stayed until noon and then Shawn picked him up and the rest of us stayed until about 2:30. We had a great time with them. We rode a lot of rides. The weather was beautiful. The kids got along great. And I always love hanging out with Doug and Jean.

Then Mazy and I hopped into the van and drove to St. Augustine's Church for his first ever 4-H meeting! His club is called "Suburban Spirits," which totally cracks me up. It's so weird to be in a 4-H club in Des Moines! But I'm so happy they have one. I loved 4-H and learned so many things from my years in it. I think Mazy had a good time. They did two crafts -- a fall tree with tissue paper and then a cool t-shirt made with permanent markers and rubbing alcohol. There are a lot of bossy, high-pitched girls in his club... But they all seemed nice, and I liked their mothers too. I'm hoping we meet some new families.

Nick's tatertot casserole looked so good that it inspired me to make my own "deconstructed" tatertot casserole for supper tonight: mashed potatoes with hamburger gravy and steamed fresh green beans from the farmers market. It was really quite good.

Just gave the boys their baths, and read them a couple bedtime stories. I'm so impressed -- in just three weeks of school Mazy has already learned about 10 words and can find them in the books we read. And Bobo is an ABC-singing machine! He has finally reached an age where he can stay up a little later and listen to the longer bedtime stories. I just love snuggling up with them in my bed and reading stories.

Life is good. Hope you all have a fantastic week ahead!

P.S. I almost forgot! Happy Grandparent's Day to Grandpa Pud, Grandma Maxine and Grandpa Keith! And shoot, I forgot to have Mazy and Bo call their grandparents... We're working on Grandparent's Day presents, but I still meant to call and let them talk to them. Oh well. Can't remember it all, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Sounded like a great day. I love keeping up with you and your family Keesia - sorry if I don't always remember to tell you so. Any trips to the library??? Looking forward to the fall picnic and all being together. All of my family will be in by Thursday night - hope we get to spend more time than just Sunday together!!! Maybe vacation day on Friday??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if not a vacation day on Friday than a "mental health" day to use up some sick time. :) (Note to coworkers who read this: don't rat me out!) Can't wait to see all of you guys Cindy. It's going to be such a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete