One-Yard Wonders projects

Friday, September 3, 2010

Meals from the Heartland


So yesterday I spent my afternoon with some coworkers at Vets Auditorium -- filling bags with rice, soy protein, dehydrated veggies and vitamin powder. Our team of 8 filled 20 boxes with these food packets, which in turn will feed more than 4,500 people in Haiti!

It's a really cool thing -- Meals from the Heartland. All the big companies, and small companies, and organizations and families sign up for shifts to fill the bags with food, seal them up, box them, put them on palettes and get them ready for a boat ride to Haiti or wherever else food is needed.

Today Mazy's kindergarten class is volunteering from 9 to 11. I can't wait to see what Mazy thinks of the experience. He's excited to do it. We've been talking about starving people and how he will be helping to feed kids who don't have food. He totally gets it. All week his class has been collecting quarters to donate to the organization. For just 25 cents, you can fill one bag with food to feed a family of six. So the kids know that each quarter helps feed one family.

So, now just one more work day and a three-day holiday weekend begins!! Yahooo! I'm so excited for the weekend. It will be both fun and productive! I'm planning to clean the house on Sat. AM (after going to the farmers market) and then on Sunday I'm going to paint the front steps and hopefully the picnic table. Two chores I've needed to do for a long time.

Time to finish my scone and cafe au lait and get this workday started!

No comments:

Post a Comment