We haven't been to the library in ages. But both boys are little bibliophiles and instead of continuing our trend of buying them books, I thought it would be worth revisiting Des Moines' fancy downtown library to borrow some of theirs.
A fine idea. In theory. We arrived at 6:45 or so. Not many people there. Found a rockstar parking spot right in front of the entrance. And then the following occurred:
- Bo refused to walk and I had to haul his heavy butt all through the library.
- Once at the children's section, both boys were very happy and entertained. Until it was time to leave...
- Bo threw a huge fit at checkout time -- throwing his books across the atrium, garnering prissy glares from two librarians and resulting in him being forcefully carried out of the building on Shawn's shoulder.
- Mazy's library card had a $35 overdue fee!
- Bo's stupid dinosaur book set off the alarm and we had to go back in and talk to the librarian who just lectured me on overdue fees...
- After being in the van for 30 seconds, Mazy decided he did not like the books he had chosen and instead wanted to "trade" with Bo. This resulted in a very loud fight and me yelling, "Just sit down and look at your stupid dinosaur books. Both of you!"
And that's when I decided maybe TV time after supper (instead of promoting literacy at the library) isn't so bad after all ....