One-Yard Wonders projects

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lemon Cupcakes and Lemon Pasta for the Farm

We are about to depart for the farm -- a late lunch with Aunt Cindy from Mississippi and the rest of the gang -- can't wait to see her! The weather looks beautiful today. Weatherbug says it's only 73 degrees right now! Fabulous!

We're having fried chicken, watermelon, pasta salad, crackers/cheese, hashbrown casserole, fresh tomatoes and lemon cupcakes for dessert. Everyone's bringing something. I made the pasta salad, taking the watermelon and just finished the cupcakes.

I still need to shower and get ready so I have to make this fast. If you need a pasta recipe -- one that can be served lukewarm for a potluck, this is a great one! Mazy is eating it now and these were his exact words: "Mama, I think you are magnificent at cooking. I can taste a lemony flavor and something nutty. It's very, very good."

So here's the recipe. I've made it many times. Today I'm missing the fresh garlic, oops. But it still tastes good. A very fresh, lemony, subtle flavor. The broccoli is a nice touch for color and flavor. The toasted pine nuts provide a bit of smoky, nuttiness. I added some white wine to the "sauce" today. I had some leftover and figured it would only add to the flavors.

We also are taking lemon cupcakes. I used a cake mix for the cupcakes and then I doctored up some store-bought white frosting -- added lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and a bit of Crystal Light for added lemon flavor. Very tasty and summery! The boys put one sour cherry candy on top of each cupcake. Festive and fun!

Well, I think Shawn's out of the shower so I better head up. Food's ready, swimsuits are packed, just need to get it all -- and everyone -- into the van without forgetting anything.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment