One-Yard Wonders projects

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Decadent, Dairy-Free Super-Duper Chocolate Birthday Cake

I have to show you the unbelievable chocolate cake that Shawn's sister commissioned from the head baker of Iowa State University (he's a friend of a friend). It was delicious. Two-layer chocolate cake -- one side of the filling was peanut butter cream and the other side was chocolate mousse. And the peanut butter side was totally dairy-free! What a treat for Shawn, and me and Bo. And everyone else who got to eat it.


If you can't tell from the photo, this is a ridiculously large cake! And we came home with a ton of it. We froze some pieces for future indulgence, but today Shawn took the majority of the leftover pieces to Bo's daycare where many chocolate-loving women enjoyed eating it as much as we did!

 This was Shawn enjoying his first piece of cake. The brown on his nose is from one of his sisters smearing chocolate on it. Just in case you noticed.

 Another great photo of my men! That husband of mine is very photogenic, don't you think?! 

 How many in-laws does it take to light the candles? Haha, just kidding! They were trying to do it quickly because the boys were impatient to blow them out. 

Here's a good cross-sectional view of the cake. And that piece was small. Shawn was cutting and let me tell you, the man is not stingy when it comes to serving dessert... 

Hahaha! I love this picture. It's after Shawn ate TWO pieces of that cake... And clearly, he's regretting it. I suggested he add some alka seltzer to that glass of water, but he suffered through.

Tomorrow I'll show you photos of the finished baby's quilt -- front and back! I'm really happy with it. And I have some photos of the quilt masterpiece that Mazy is designing. 

Let's see, what else is going on? 

Thursday night is "Parents Math Night" at Mazy's school. Shawn and I are not looking forward to attending. It's one-and-a-half hours of learning how they teach math.... Shawn is actually looking forward to that part, he's a math geek, you know. I am dreading it. I am only looking forward to the free desserts that will be served after math class by the culinary students at Central Campus.  :)  Mom has graciously agreed to come over for supper-and-a-movie night with the boys so we don't have to pay for babysitter services at the school. 

I think that's about it for tonight. If you haven't read Monday's blog post about the dancing white boys and watched their video debut, you really need to. It's sure to make you happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment